[mythtv-users] atrpms also missing FC5 2139 files

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 08:25:00 UTC 2006

Ok, so I did the same thing, ran a Yum upgrade, got pushed to 2.16.17-2139,
realized that nothing worked (no lirc drivers, no nvidia drivers, half the
stuff just didn't work) so I dropped back to 2133...

SURPRISE the upgrade seemed to take my lirc_serial module with it.
/lib/modules does NOT contain a lirc_serial module in it ANYWHERE.   Not in
my 2096, not in 2133 and certainly not in 2139.

NO WHERE.  So now i've dropped back to 2133 and the rest of it is fine I
think, but my remote is BORKED badly...simply put, it won't recognize
anything.

BY default, lircd won't load as UDEV won't even create any of the /dev/lirc
modules and thus won't simlink /dev/lirc to anything (so nothing loads).
/dev/lircd is there but that's just a socket and nothing works with it.
lsmod shows nothing, find /lib/modlues | grep lirc shows nothing, Simply
put, i've lost all my kernel drivers.

rpm -qa | grep lirc shows me:

lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc5.at
lirc-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc5.at
lirc-lib-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc5.at

So LIRC is installed, but no kmdl is installed with it.  yum install
lirc-kmdl (and any part of that I can think of) gets me jack, and the only
thing I can find listed on ATRPMS site by navigating down into the LIRC
section provides me with the helpful lirc-kmdl packages for things like
lirc-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2133_1.rhfc5.cubbi_suspend2smp which seems to be for some
cubbi_suspend2 kernel which is obviously not installed...(when installed it
creates a COMPLELY NEW directory structure under /lib/modules which means it
simply won't work).

WTH did my lirc_serial driver go?  How do I get it back, and why in the heck
can't I find a simple lirc-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2133_FC5smp package?

Oh, I also went ahead and yum remove lirc, yum install lirc which did not
re-create / re-install the serial driver regardless of the note in the
information about the standard LIRC package that it includes most of the
common kernel drivers (if it does it's certainly not installing them.)

HELP i'm rather annoyed that an upgrade has actually DESTROYED something.
I'm used to things not working with the most recent code, but to have it
actually REMOVE packages that make prior versions of the kernel that are
still installed not work pisses me off to no end.

Anyone know how I can get an LIRC_SERIAL driver back?

--Douglas Wagner