[mythtv-users] Automatic transcoding

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Tue Jun 27 15:35:18 UTC 2006

jafa wrote:
> Under Recording Profiles, Transcoding, Autodetect from MPEG2 I have
> configured it to transcode to MPEG4 - 800xAuto.
> Manually running a transcoding job results in an MPEG4 800xAuto. It does
> not automatically transcode after recording.
>
> It is unclear from the howto if I also need to create a back-end/adapter
> specific profile so I created one.
>
> What does the "Image Size" mean for an ATSC tuner?
> The howto refers to "recording resolution" which I assume means the same
> thing. For an ATSC tuner will this setting be ignored? Or will it affect
> transcoding?

Got it figured out - the Image Size setting and RTJPEG/MPEG4 screens are
completely ignored for an ATSC tuner. You have to enable transcoding in
the backend/adapter profile and it wil then use the settings from the
Transcoding profile.

The confusing things is having a config screen with "enable
transcoding", followed by a Image Size screen, followed by a MPEG4
configuration screen, when these last two screens don't actually have
any effect on transcoding :-)
> After the "Image Size" screen it asks for transcoding configuration but
> I don't see how to set the desired transcoding resolution... unless it
> uses the values from the Image Size screen. If this is the case then it
> won't do what I need it to do as the Image Size screen does not allow an
> "Auto" configuration - I am trying to get it to transcode native ATSC
> resolutions to 800xAuto to match my projector.

All is good now... 800xAuto transcoding is working well.

Nick