[mythtv-users] I'm going mad obviously...lirc kernel Modules

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 20:54:25 UTC 2006

Ok, obviously i'm going nuts.

Whoever is out there gaslighting me is doing one HECK of a good job at it.

LIRC was working through MythTV as of 2 days ago.  I swear when I set this
up 2 months ago that I saw lirc_serial loaded in lsmod.

Yet here I am, 1 yum upgrade later:  lirc-kmdl* package does not exist.
It's not in my yum archives, it's not installed in my RPM database, there's
no lirc_serial anywhere on my system, it's not loaded in my lsmod, it
doesn't exist in my /lib/modules directory.  It also doesn't exist for my
2.6.16.2095 kernel, nor my 2.6.16.2133 kernel, both of which were WORKING
with LIRC.

ATRPMs doesn't carry any copies of this file, AT ALL that is for any kernel
that I recognize (WTF is a cubbi_suspend2_8k kernel anyway?), not in their
archives, not in their obsoleted packages, not in the base directory.

I've uninstalled and re-installed lirc (not libs, that pretty much takes out
my entire system if I uninstall that thing) assuming, as the package
description says, that it contains the driver files, which it does not...or
they're on my system but being held invisible in a rift in the
space/time continum by the little green goblins that run my life these
days...

So 2 days ago I had a wife, 2 kids, 3 cats and a working installation of
MythTV with a remote control that actually worked.

Now, I have a wife, 2 kids, 3 cats and a working installation of MythTV with
ABSOLUTELY NO TRACE of ever having had LIRC working.  If I go hone tonight
and find that I only have 1 cat or 1 kid i'm simply going to agree to go
nuts and go try to find someplace more sane...like maybe a 10th dimension
somewhere....

An internet search for lirc-kmdl and 1.2096 or 1.2133 contains absoltuely no
files, as if there NEVER WAS a kernel driver package for LIRC for ANY
installed kernel I have running now.

When I check my Yum logs, sure enought I installed a lirc-kmdl package: Apr
26 02:21:27 Installed: lirc-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp.i686 0.8.1-cvs20060325
_57.rhfc5.at and sure enough it was removed (by yum): Jun 24 14:03:18
Erased: lirc-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2096_FC5smp, which I think is very rude as I
still have kernel 2096 installed and working on my system.

And to top it all off ATRPMS has a Fedora Core 6 directory right
now....*cackle*

Excuse me, I think the men with the little white coats are here for
me...something about a padded cell and a nice enwrapping blanket....

HELP!!!!!

With a bit more seriousness how do I recover from this?  There HAS to be a
kernel driver module for a serial IR device out there somewhere?  Where is
it supposed to live now?  In the lirc-0.81 package?  And if so why isn't it
being installed by YUM/RPM?

I have gone ahead and downloaded the
lirc-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc5.at.src.rpm from ATRPMS firguring i'd just go
ahead and build my own.  However using rpmbuild SPECS/lirc-cvs.spec gives me
error: line 1: Unknown tag: %kmdl lirc and rpmbuild --rebuild
lirc-0.8.1-cvs20060325_58.rhfc5.at.src.rpm gives me the same thing.

and actually going into the SOURCE directory, into the package and running
setup.sh (which seems to be the right procedure) produces the following
error:

Configuration: .setup.config, executable shell script: configure.sh
Starting the generated shell script which will call configure with the right
parameters...
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

So i'm lost, i'd prefer to get ahold of an RPM package so I don't have to
perpetually re-build lirc, I can just use yum to upgrade it (if I ever
decide to switch kernels again, which might never happen), but obviously
since a pre-bult binary driver only exists for kernels i've never heard of
i'd just be happy getting a lirc_serial.ko (or some such) stuck in
/lib/modules somewhere (prefferably under the right kernel, but i'm starting
to not get picky) through a make install process of some sort (hell i'll
copy it myself if that will work :) )

Anyway, any help any of you could give me to get my remote back working
again would be most appreciated.  I can't IMAGINE there isn't an LIRC_SERIAL
driver for 2.6.16-1.2133, EVERYONE has had to have been running that kernel
for months prior to last weekends's 2.6.17 release.

--Douglas Wagner