[mythtv-users] audio problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 28 00:58:31 UTC 2006

On 06/27/2006 06:46 PM, Chico Makani wrote:
> "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 06/27/2006 03:36 PM, Chico Makani wrote:
>>> I'm running Myth 0.19 on Ubuntu Dapper. I have OSS and ALSA drivers
>>> installed.
>> I hope you mean you have ALSA drivers installed and have also loaded the
>> ALSA OSS emulation modules...
>>> mplayer works with either driver. I have an Nvidia4 chipset and
>>> RealTek audio chip.
>>>
>>> If I run myth with the OSS driver device: /dev/dsp mixer: /dev/mixer
>>> I get audio but can't change the volume. If I open the mixer I can see
>>> that there's a PCM-2 conrol that Myth is automatically setting to 100%.
>> Myth can only control Master or PCM controls on the mixer.  If your card
>> uses a different name, Myth can't control volume for you.
>>> So I tried the ALSA driver. device: ALSA:default, mixer: default
>>> in this case I get no audio at all. From the log files it appears that
>>> Myth is looking for a Master control on the mixer that does not exist.
>>> Here's the message:
>>>
>>> 2006-06-26 14:20:20.137 mixer unable to find control Master
>> In frontend settings, under General settings on page Audio:
>>
>> Mixer Controls
>> Changing the volume adjusts the selected mixer.
>>
>> If you need to control something besides PCM or Mixer, you'll have to
>> disable Myth's internal volume control:
>>
>> Use internal volume controls
>> MythTV can control the PCM and master mixer volume.  If you prefer to
>> use an external mixer program, then disable this option.
>>
>> and use a script like
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/192833#192833 .
> Thanks.  The problem is that if I disable 'Use Internal Volume Controls'  I still can't control the mixer.  If I use dev/dsp, changing the mixer levels has no effect.   If I use ALSA, I get no sound at all.

But, all this is "with Myth."  It sounds like--unless you actually have
a working PCM and/or Master control on your mixer device--you can't use
Myth to control your sound.  What happens if you play back with the OSS
device names and use alsamixer to change volume?  If that works, you can
always use the script...

Mike