[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause / Broadcasting free space avail / audio waiting for buffer to

Ryan Duffy dusteur at excite.com
Wed Jun 28 10:15:34 UTC 2006

> I've posted on this subject before but not got very far,

Lots of people have, and nothing has changed...

> Suggestions anyone?

So many people have posted about this, with so many different sets of hardware, kernel versions, and linux distributions, that we can surely only conclude that there is a bug in mythtv. Noone had this problem before myth 0.19.
Personally, I suspect it is a buffering issue caused by waiting to read video/audio data from the disk that hasn't yet been written i.e. you are waiting at the end of the LiveTV file for the fresh data that hasn't yet been written out, since it is written in chunks for the sake of efficiency. Perhaps modifying the parameters of the kernel I/O scheduler would make a difference? Or forcing myth to write more frequently when watching LiveTV?

I'm too busy to debug this problem, but if its not fixed in 3 months time, I'll do it then...