[mythtv-users] Digital TV question

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Jun 28 17:22:47 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 13:53, Timothy Waters wrote:
> No, just regular old analog. So would it work for that? I've got one
> PVR-250MCE.
> > >
> > > Oh, I've got a 1.67Ghz AMD Athlon 2000+ chip in my desktop. If I
> > > upgrade
> > my
> > > RAM to say 1GB and put at least a 128MB video card in there, would that
> > > make it a sufficient dedicated MythTV box?

I don't see any need to do upgrades.  The backend part takes nothing since you
have a PVR 250.  A beefy video card is only useful for XVMC, and that still
causes some folks problems.  Extra RAM may help if you are using a Gnome or
KDE, but when you are watching TV, you don't tend to be also doing resource
intensive activities.  With your system specs, you don't need xvmc for SD
anyway.  If you really want to throw money at your mythbox, get a huge hard
drive...

Mark