[mythtv-users] Record Multiple Channels on a Single Multiplex(using getstream)?

Graeme Hilton graeme.hilton at fishter.org.uk
Wed Jun 28 19:58:21 UTC 2006

Brad Templeton wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:24:10PM +0100, Steve Daniels wrote:
>> My thoughts exactly, although I haven't got what I originally mentioned
>> doing up and running yet, I'm hopeful it will fill the gap between now and
>> when Aaron manages to get the multiple recordings working for DVB
>> multiplexes :-D
>
> Well, you're not going to get a lot.  Typical multiplexes OTA are things
> like 2 versions of the same station (SD and HD) or a main channel and a news
> or weather channel.   Around here, the most useful multiplex with be PBS,
> where they do 4-5 channels, one in HD of different PBS programming.  Can't
> say I've ever seen any desire to see 2 of them at once.

But in the UK there are many totally different channels on each OTA
multiplex
<http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/mux/> for a list of the
channels on each multiplex.

> If you could get a cable company with unencrypted QAM, that would be
> a different story, since there will be 8 or more unrelated SDTV channels
> on a single QAM channel, though again it will be the boring digital TV
> channels, not something so nice as ABC, CBS and NBC on the same frequency.
>
> If you really need to start recording 8 channels at once, you need to
> get out more!

Recording from multiple streams on the one multiplex would probably
allow me to have a backend with just one tuner, instead of two.  So it
would save me some cash!

OTOH, they all seem to show the good programs at the same time, so I
would still need at least two cards to cover the main channels.  Of
course, with six cards I could capture the sum total of UK digital
broadcasting!!

--
Graeme Hilton
DVB user in BBC-land