[mythtv-users] audio problems

Chico Makani chicomakani at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 03:15:26 UTC 2006

Thanks Michael.  I got it working following your advice.

Here's a recap for anyone who may have the same problem.  I had no volume control when running Myth.  This was true whether I used the internal conrol, or the mixer.  Solved as follows:

Use ALSA audio.  Set device to ALSA:default with no mixer control

Now you can use your mixer to control the volume.  To use your remote add the following lines to lircrc.

begin
prog button config repeat end

begin
prog button config repeat end

begin
prog button config config repeat end

Make sure you are running irexec at startup.  The names (Vol+) are for my Hauppauge IR controler.

Get the volume control script here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/192833#192833

Make sure the names in the script match the names on your mixer.

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote: On 06/28/2006 12:12 AM, Chico Makani wrote:
> I don't think I was clear.  I can't even change the volume using any mixer application!  I tried using the mixer included in the gnome desktop on my Ubuntu install, and alsamixer.
>
> If I use OSS audio with mplayer I can change the volume in the application but not using the mixer controls.
>
> If I use /dev/dsp with Myth I can't change the volume using Myth, and I can't change the volume using the mixer.
>
> If I use ALSA and mplayer I can change the volume in the mixer and in mplayer.
>
> If I use ALSA and Myth, I get no audio and this message:
> "mixer unable to find control Master"
>
> Good news!  if I turn off Myth control and use ALSA:default I get audio!!! Now I'll look into using scripts to control the ALSA mixer.

Also, make sure you turn off ESD.

Mike