[mythtv-users] Bob2x with wobbling OSD even at 50 Hz

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 14:10:51 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 12:36:31 +0100, Dan Seddon wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Unless you have some other problem, this is a side effect of bob
> > deinterlacing (the fact that Tino finds it OK for a few seconds if
> > baffling) - where the detail is small such as small fonts.
>
> Maybe I should describe the behaviour of my MythTV in more detail:
>
> 1. I switch to LiveTV
>
> 2. The channel starts to play
>
> 3. I activate the info OSD while watching LiveTV
>
> 4. Usually, the OSD flickers. But sometimes, it changes from flicker to
>    a stable picture and stays like this for a while (the time varies
>    from less than one to a few seconds), while LiveTV is running
>
> > Each field is generated (on alternate frames) by interpolating the
> > neighbouring fields - in the case of a hard edges (such as in a font)
> > this will bleed in to the interpolated field (which being on every other
> > frame will cause a jitter), it would only possible to get rid of the
> > problem by overlaying this detail after the deinterlacing has been done
> > (maybe that's possible in the case of the OSD???) or with some fairly
> > heavy duty image processing. Most broadcast text should be big enough
> > not to be made too horrible by interlacing - I can't say I get bothered
> > by it much although it's there. The OSD is a bit nasty at it's default
>
> I could live with it, but having seen how it looks like with the stable
> picture, I find the jitter a bad decrease in readability.
>
> Regards,
> Tino

I can not say this for sure but try the latest SVN I used to have lots of
problems with the OSD like you are describing but on the latest version it
doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. There is still slight shake on startup and
fade but 95% it is solid. I still do notice a problem with solid horizontal
lines being shaky but nothing that I can't live with.

Allan