[mythtv-users] No Alsa output without OSS emulation?

Sage sage at gypsycaravan.com
Thu Jun 29 23:24:44 UTC 2006

I'm running MythTV 0.19-fixed, compiled from source, on Ubuntu 6.06
(Dapper Drake).  Despite the fact that I compiled MythTV with OSS
support disabled, I am unable to hear sound without the alsa-oss
emulation package installed.

Is this a requirement of MythTV?  In the general settings, I have set
ALSA:default as my playback device, and I have a working .asoundrc,
and I disabled OSS support in MythTV before I compiled it.  Sound
didn't work until I installed the alsa-oss package (all other alsa
packages were already installed).  Why do I need OSS installed in
order to play sound?  Has anyone else run into this problem before?