[mythtv-users] MythTivo Question

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:26:26 UTC 2006

I hope that was with tongue firmly in cheek, but in case it was not....

On 6/30/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it me, or does it just seem slightly wrong to read about people
> praising TiVo and wondering why they should complicate things by
> introducing MythTV to the simplicity of TiVo... on the MythTV Mailing
> list? ;)

That wasn't how I read it.  I think he wants to slowly integrate Myth
in, but doesn't want to just throw away the investment he already has
sunk into those 4(!) Tivos.  Heck, any family that watches enough TV
to use 4 PVRs could probably use 5.

He didn't want to integrate Myth to his Tivo--at least not yet.  I can
understand that.  His Tivos are his production system and his Myth
system is still in development/test.  Integrating the two and
subsequently breaking production is NOT going to help WAF/FAF.

> For crying out loud, if you're on the MythTV mailing list, YOU ARE A
> MASOCHIST! You already obviously have NO PROBLEM making things MORE
> complicated than they need to be! :) Hell, that's the reason I chose
> MythTV: I wanted a project to occupy my time!

Great, if that works for you.  Doesn't for me.  I chose MythTV because
I wanted the best damn PVR available today.  I think Myth, given
proper hardware, properly configured and then LEFT ALONE can be that.
I agree these guys constantly running SVN and grabbing the latest
bleeding edge updates are masochists, but not those of us that
struggle a month or to to get a working system, from ATRPMS or
whatever and then never take it to a shell prompt again.  I'm still
running FC3 fer cryin' out loud!

Not ragging on you, just offering another point of view and
encouraging lurkers that Myth need not be a constant frustration.
It's bad enough half the time I'm reading Myth lists gmail ads say
"Why bother building a Myth system?  Buy Replay TV instead!"

Good luck, all!