[mythtv-users] MythTV Hardware Recommendations - Stability is the Key

drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 13:34:26 UTC 2006

--- David Schmidt <david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/06, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I doubt you will get much reliability no matter which hardware you use.
> >
> > I guess a few crashes a day, not the PC but either mythfrontend or
> > mythbackend (though this one doesn't crash anywhere as much as it used
> > to)
> >
> > JY
>
> If you get multiple crashes a day, or even a crash every day,
> something is very wrong.
>
> My PVR-350 based prototype system has been in near-constant use for
> months now.  Records every day.  Plays back 13 days out of 14.  This
> is in the Texas heat and my thermostat will let it get up to 88 F
> between 7:30A and 5:30P M-F so heat *is* a factor.

Agreed, actually you should almost never see a crash at all with linux or mythtv. I
have had my myth box up (24/7/365) for like 2 years now with not a single crash,
lockup, kernel panic ... In the rare occurrences that it was down is when the power
went out (my ups batteries are bad) and upgrades (mostly hardware).

John