[mythtv-users] Connecting to external cable box

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Jun 30 21:11:47 UTC 2006

John Dressler wrote:
> Hey. I have no idea how to enable MythTV to work with an external box
> (software wise). I've connected my computer to the external box using
> a serial cable. From there I have no idea where to go. Can someone
> point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Basically there are two methods:

1.  Firewire.  If your box has it, you can use the Firewire output to
record unencrypted channels and change channels using the firewire port.

2.  Regular TV output.  Here you need something to record the output
(PVR-150, etc.) from the s-video or coax output from your box and then
you need something else (IR blaster or serial port) to change channels
when needed.  In the capture card setup you specify a channel changing
script that is called whenever Myth needs to change the channel.   That
script either sends commands to the serial port or manipulates the IR
blaster as needed.

Kevin