[mythtv-users] Chat client for MythTV

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Mar 1 15:55:33 UTC 2006

> You could try scripting GAIM to call MythTVOSD and pop up an alert on
> the screen. But that would be one-way only (With no replying), and
> would only work while TV is playing (As the MythTVOSD doesn't work
> over menus).

One step ahead of you!

I copied a text-to-speech plugin for gaim and converted it to spit messages
to mythOSD. It was really annoying, so I abandoned it. Plus, gaim keeps
changing their plugin structure and they STILL don't have a decent perl
interface, so I gave up.

It did work pretty well, though, except it sometimes crashed gaim.

 - Jeff