[mythtv-users] Can I downsize my HD mpg instead of transcoding tompeg4 in nupple?

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 21:15:05 UTC 2006

William wrote:
> [...]
Any reason why VLC is not wanted?  It can play mpeg4 nupple video files
without any problems in my experience.
with Dsmyth you can play nupple in any direct show player in windows.
Works well for me.  VLC works great in windows too.
> hdtv is
> too big to keep around for very long.  What I'm looking for is a way to keep
> everything in mpeg2 but drop down to something less than a gig an hour.
>

> -------------------------------
>
> You might be able to do it but will have to reduce the frame size to 640x480
> and drop the bitrate. Transcoding to MPEG4 is going to give you smaller file
> then anything MPEG2.
At 640x480 and 2200kbps, mpeg4 takes up about 0.95GB per hour on my machine.
> <rant>Personally I am not going to invest in hd support until after all the
> fud about broadcast flags, firewire and recording restrictions is finally
> resolved. I think in a couple of years only commercial DVRs will be able to
> play hd.</rant>

Amen, sadly.  Anyway I have to get contracts with dish companies to get
HD over here, whereas SD cable requires no BS 18 month contracts at
all.  Quite sad really.  I use my HDTV for video games only, lol.
Raphael