[mythtv-users] DirecTV 5.1 audio capture

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 2 22:56:09 UTC 2006

On 03/02/2006 03:08 PM, James Minihane wrote:
> DirecTV has digital audio output for DD5.1. How can that be captured using
> something like the PVR-150/250/500?

You could output the 5.1 to an external receiver that down-converts to
2-channel stereo, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're asking...
(In other words, the PVR-x50's/500's only capture 2-channel stereo or mono.)

>  Would I need an additional sound card per DTV video input just for 5.1 sound?

You could capture 5.1 channels with an appropriate sound card, but
muxing it with your video--in sync--is a whole other matter.

Mike