[mythtv-users] Can I downsize my HD mpg instead of transcoding tompeg4 in nupple?

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 04:38:37 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, William <wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> You might be able to do it but will have to reduce the frame size to
> 640x480
> and drop the bitrate. Transcoding to MPEG4 is going to give you smaller
> file
> then anything MPEG2. Either way I suspect you are going to loose the
> hi-def
> resolution.

I  should have provided a few more details.  I don't have a HD display.  All
my viewing is done from SD tv's or a laptop over 802.11b so svcd is
acceptable to me, dvd would be just about right.  More is better but 720p is
overkill by a long shot.  I currently transcode to mpeg4 640x380 or so but
I'm tired of having to patch XBMC, change to avi, or be restricted to VLC (I
didn't care much for DSmyth).  It would also be easier to drop a recording
on a dvd or cd for thouse time's I want to share.