[mythtv-users] AverTVHD A180 Success

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Fri Mar 3 15:10:34 UTC 2006

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:55:39AM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Just a little report to the list that the AVerTVHD A180 card (which I
>> got at buy.com for $80) works great as a DVB card with Myth to tune my
>> QAM channels via my cable provider (Comcast).
>>
>> Wiki links:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/AVerTV_HD_A180
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_Cards
>>
>> It's a cheap card and so far the recordings look great even on my lowly
>> SD TV.
>>

> Has the scheduler evolved to the point yet where it is a) possible and
> b) practical to do things like "HD channel 24 and SD channel 4 are the
> same program service; record HD if you can, SD if you must?"

I have my recording schedules set to "any time on any channel" and to
use duplicate checking.  This causes them to consider both the SD and HD
channels for recording.  Right now I have my HD card a lower priority
than my SD card so the SD channels wins the contention because it
realizes that it will have a duplicate recording when the SD works.   If
I bump up the priority on my HD, then it takes over.

As far as I can see, that does what it needs to in order to get HD over
SD but grab SD when the HD is already recording something else.  Of
course, this just makes me want more HD tuners now :)

Kevin