[mythtv-users] Most tuners in a single machine

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Mar 3 16:50:02 UTC 2006

Les Gondor wrote:

> On 3/2/06, *James Minihane* <j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com
> <mailto:j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ultimately I'll have 3-4 front ends, plus want the ability to
>     record at
>     the same time.
>     That means at LEAST 6 tuners. Even if I use the PVR-500, that's
>     still 6
>     PCI slots. The additional input ports for the 2nd encoder on the
>     PVR-500
>     takes up a PCI slot in the case, even if it doesn't take up a slot
>     on the
>     board.
>     Has anyone tried a passive backplane case for all of the
>     additional slots?
>
>     J. Minihane
>

> If you are using the cable input to the PVR500, the both tuners work
> off of that. There is no need for a second PCI connector unless you
> are using S-Video or composite inputs to both tuners.
>
> You might find that the demaind for liveTV is less than one would
> expect given the number of frontends. Once you have a large enough
> stock of recordings, there's always something on (watching a recording
> doesn't require a free tuner).

SIX tuners is only THREE PVR500's, only THREE PCI slots, and only THREE
cable feeds from a splitter/amp.
Both tuners are on the same board on a 500.

A six slot motherboard should give you the capability of having 3 HD
cards and 3 PVR500 cards for a total of 6 tuners.

I would worry at that point, that the machine might become IO bound if
you tried to record from all six at once...Although I have recorded 3
shows at once with an HD3000 and PVR500 combination on a VIA SP13000
motherboard.

Geoff

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury