[mythtv-users] MythTV Version Recommendation

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 3 20:27:31 UTC 2006

On 03/03/2006 03:18 PM, LP Tilly wrote:
> My #1 Rule of Software:  Avoid any "dot oh" release ( ie 1.0, 10.0, etc. )
>    First roll out of a major release is rarely ready.  I have personally
> never seen one.

Sweet.  Myth's already on "dot nineteen," so it should be (and, actually
is) good.  ;)    (I know what you mean, but really, 0.19.0 is good--and
is receiving bugfix updates, unlike 0.18/0.18-fixes.  0.19-fixes is
slightly better, so if your packager makes that available, you're set.)

> My #2 Rule of Software:  When possible, avoid any "dot even" release ( ie
> 1.2, 10.4, etc )
>   A "dot odd" ( 10.1 ) comes after a "dot oh".  Then a "dot even" comes out
> with something "extra", and another "dot odd" will often follow to fix
> something introduced there.

This rule probably caused you nightmares in the Linux 2.4/2.5
timeframe.  At least Linus, et. al., decided there was no reason (at
least at this time) for a 2.7 version...  Of course, that begs the
question of what version you're using now.  :)  (I know what you mean.
Just thought it was funny that this is exactly opposite the historical
Linux kernel development philosophy.)

Mike