[mythtv-users] Most tuners in a single machine

Todd Houle thoule at deeleyfoundation.org
Sat Mar 4 16:12:12 UTC 2006

I strongly recommend against amplifiers from my experience with
CATV.  When the cable wire joins the fiber node for your area, it
sends a signal with whatever DB - Then along each "leg" that leaves
the fiber node, the cable company has a pad/tap that reduces the
signal strength hitting each house- the splitter on the pole that
runs to your house and continues on the way down the road has a pad
built in to reduce the signal strength.  So the first house after the
node may have 18Db reduction, the next house 16, then 10 or 8db pad
and so on.  So you can contact your cable company and ask them to
change your pad so you are getting hit with more signal. That makes
more sense than the cable company reducing the signal then you
amplifying it.  I'd ask them to come in the house and measure what
you're getting hit with after all your splitters.  I've found them
very helpful in doing this, but I know a lot of the guys so maybe
it's just me...
   Todd