[mythtv-users] 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause

Joe Silver devils.taco at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 19:24:01 UTC 2006

On 2/25/06, Joe Silver <devils.taco at gmail.com> wrote:

> So it looks like there has been a trouble ticket opened on this issue:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1361
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/185733
>
> However, it doesn't really look like it's being investigated further.  I
> could be mistaken, but it sounds like this is being passed off as a
> performance issue instead of an internal issue.  Hopefully one of the
> developers has the same issue and can provide the appropriate performance
> settings to the rest of us to correct this issue.  It sounds like the rest
> of us are stumped!  Perhaps it's something to do with differences between
> default settings between 0.18 and 0.19.  Why these defaults would be
> changed to break something as important as HD playback is a real mystery...
>
> -Joe

I'm screwing around some more with this issue... no useable workaround yet,
but I have discovered that xine will playback the captured livetv streams
perfectly with xvmc and deinterlacing disabled... the hd captures look
fabulous.  i'm now ready to claim XVMC playback is broken in mythtv's
internal player.  probably not a huge surprise, but I am surprised that it
works in one and not the other.  the only viable workaround i can come up
with is to buy a faster processor so i don't need XVMC.  I'm a little
nervous that it wont actually fix the problem (is it really XVMC or the
internal player???), but to buy one and try it is the only way to test this
out.  Anyone out there with a fast cpu and nvidia card (FX5200) playing HD
captures to test this theory out for me?  Does enabling XVMC cause audio
stuttering (prebuffering pause and buffer underruns)??

Cheers,
JS