[mythtv-users] OT: Boot Failure Follow-up

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 22:20:30 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2006 02:41 PM, Mercury Morris wrote:
>
> I was helping a friend diagnose a failed hard drive on his Myth box just
> over a year ago.  I concluded the drive's electronics got fried since
> the BIOS wouldn't even recognize the drive.  So he went out and bought
> what turned out to be a $200 IDE cable that came with a free 300GB HDD.
> :)  That was the first time in my life I've ever seen an IDE cable just
> "die" while a system was running (gave up in the middle of a football
> game he was recording/watching with a group of people).
>
> At least in his case, he could continue to use the old drive and just
> add the new one.  Using two motherboards is more expensive--that
> involves buying new CPU, RAM, HDD, ...
>
> Mike,

Thanks for the story - $200 IDE cable!  Looking at my situation in that
light, I have a $162 SATA cable.

When my system died, it was recording a program.  There was no EarthQuake,
no thunderstorm, no nothing.  "How in hell could a cable just fail like
that", is what I thought today when it turned out that was what happened.
The cables were never even considered as the cause of the failure.

Now, like your friend with the free 300GB HDD, I can use the spare
motherboard to build another system.  I'm going through the process of
putting the original motherboard back in service because the new one is
extremely noisy, and I don't want to have to re-install nvram-wakeup in case
the BIOS's are enough different to require it.

Thanks again for your somewhat sympathetic note.  It's nice to know that I'm
not alone in buying the "higher-priced" components.

--
MM