[mythtv-users] Commercial flagging in Australia

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Mon Mar 6 07:46:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:25 pm, Max Barry wrote:
> After upgrading to 0.19 (thank you devs!), I was pleasantly surprised to
> find that commercial flagging seems to actually work. Or at least, work
> much better than it used to. I thought I'd share my experience and
> hopefully hear from some other Aussies to find the current best practice.
>
> I'm in Melbourne, watching free-to-air SD. Blank frame detection is very
> inaccurate (almost completely random, actually), but logo detection
> works quite well, being maybe 90 - 95% accurate.

This is interesting on the Strict setting.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/165398#165398

> This isn't reliable enough to activate auto-skip, but I can use the
> commercial skip button to get through ads much quicker. And mythcommflag
> using logo detection completes quite quickly, so I don't have to wait
> long for an ad-free cutlist.

By setting 'Commercial Skip Auto-Rewind Amount:' to 1 and looking how far
forward its jumps, I can tell if I should jump back after skipping forward.

It very good on the 'ALL' method with 'Strict' set but it has trouble with
half hour shows.  The longer movies are no problem.  It can't detect the
start or end of a show because they are mostly joined without adds in
Australia.

Well worth turning on and using,
Paul