[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Mar 6 15:37:28 UTC 2006

Graham Wood wrote:
> On Mon, March 6, 2006 14:56, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Graham Wood wrote:
>> Actually, it does.  What the OP doesn't like is the *idea* of a
>> recording sitting on his hard drive.  The space it takes up will be
>> freed and the auto-expire settings will take care of that.
>>
> So the 'immediate expiry' function is there then? If you use the same
> partition for ripping DVDs and normal recordings, then it is quite
> possible that the live tv recording will reduce the available disk space
> below that required to rip some 6 hour epic DVD. This in turn means that
> under certain conditions the liveTV recording could prevent you from
> ripping your DVDs.  Or have I missed something?

You can set your auto-expiration check as little as one minute.  I have
yet to see a system that can add data to the drive faster than the
auto-expiration can free it.
>> you can rid yourself of this concern and just let the system do
>> it's job.
>>
> As long as you actually have that amount of disk space available.
>
> No, I'm not claiming that 99.999% of the people out there using MythTV
> will have issues with disk space - merely that /some/ people might.  And
> would it really be that difficult to add a trigger such that when you stop
> watching it deletes it?
>
> As far as I can see, this shouldn't be a particularly difficult change to
> implement.  It wouldn't cause bloat (since IIRC the time for liveTV to
> record is already there as a separate option), wouldn't affect most
> people's experience (if you don't set it to 0 days, it won't change
> anything), and would give people more control.
>
> So as far as I can see there are very few negatives (slight increase in
> the size of the code, assuming that the auto-expire isn't automatically
> called at the end of a recording), and the positive is that it gives
> people the ability to run this system the way they want to.  Which, from
> what I can understand, is one of the principles of Myth.

I can't speak for Isaac but he has said in previous discussions on this
list that he has no desire for this feature so it is pretty much a dead
issue.

Kevin