[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Mar 6 17:24:25 UTC 2006

On Mar 6, 2006, at 12:02 PM, William wrote:

> You people are missing the point. Since my system is a mature
> system the
> hard drive is always full of recordings so anytime someone watches
> live tv I
> lose a recording I wanted to keep. Its not a matter of how much
> free space
> is on the drive. My son often puts on the music channel for 10-12
> hours/day
> this routinely deletes 5-8 recordings each time. The file is 20
> +gigs. I want
> the system to never save live tv which should be an option.

Those 10 to 12 hours of the music channel should split itself up into
separate programs every hour/half hour/whatever the program guide
says. It will auto-expire the old programs to preserve your
recordings you want to keep. Meaning.. older live TV will expire to
make room for newer live TV. If this isn't working, write up a
repeatable test case and file a bug.

That being said, it sounds like you need a larger hard drive if you
are losing programs you want to keep because of live TV. Also, if
there's program you definitely don't want to lose, turn off auto-
expire on them.

I have 260 gigs on my system total including 50GB music, 16GB of
ripped DVD's, and recorded programs. I've always got at least a month
of back programs around. Oh, and I also have myth set to keep 15GB
free on my system at all times for adding new music/DVD's.