[mythtv-users] Will autoexpire auto-re-record?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 6 22:52:24 UTC 2006

On 02/22/2006 01:56 AM, Mike Grusin wrote:
> After looking at Mike's suggestion and poking around in the UI a bit, I
> realize that what I should have asked was specifically regarding movies and
> one-off shows (which is what I now realize I've been losing lately).  Series
> shows which autoexpire are definitely re-recorded (which is what made me
> think that MythTV automagically did this for everything).
>
> My very limited understanding of the problem is that while autoexpired
> series episodes have a query hanging around to re-record them, autoexpired
> movies end up in a bit of a black hole (from the UI at least, it looks like
> they never existed).  BUT, if autoexpired movies can re-record themselves in
> 0.19, then all is quite well with the world. =)

Basically, when a Find One/This Episode recording completes, the
housekeeping thread cleans up the recording rule because Myth has done
its job.  When a show is autoexpired, it's basically like your choosing
"Delete and allow re-record."  However, if there is no recording rule
(and, once the housekeeping thread deletes the rule, there is none),
Myth won't know to record it.

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/162912#162912 for
some of the issues.

Mike