[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 6 23:17:53 UTC 2006

On 03/06/2006 04:04 PM, Danesh wrote:
> This turned into quite a thread. I guess I can live with the liveTV
> recordings auto-expiring, I'll just go in and change the programs I
> want to keep to not auto-expire and use the amount of free disk space
> to leave space for my dvds / music (is this done from myth-setup?).

Also, remember the frontend setting:

Auto Expire Default
When enabled, any newly recorded programs will be marked as eligible for
Auto-Expiration. Existing recordings will keep their current value.

So, if you're a "keep everything until I say it's OK to delete" kind of
person, you can disable that setting.  If you're a "record it just in
case--and I'll tell you if I really want to keep it" kind of person,
enable the setting.  That way, you will only have to toggle the value on
the minimum number of recordings.

> Some of the replies to this thread have been quite unexpected because
> it seems to remind me of some other company we all know and love. i.e.
> We believe it should be done this way and this is the best way of
> doing it so let our users conform to it.

However, even open-source software shouldn't add features that don't
make sense just to placate users who don't understand the feature (or
who think the feature causes problems--even when it doesn't).  :)

Mike