[mythtv-users] internal mixer and "Analog Front"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 8 08:22:39 UTC 2006

On 03/08/2006 12:55 AM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
> I'm attempting to use the volume.sh to control an Audigy2 LS as
> mentioned here, but I can't seem to get around the problem with the
> space in the control name: "Analog Front".  I see the origional poster
> asked the same question; unfortunately I don't understand the responce
> here:
>
> mixer device != mixer control

By that I meant that Myth asks for the "Mixer Device", which should
refer to a valid OSS or ALSA mixer device, such as /dev/mixer,
/dev/mixer0, default, or ...  However, a given ALSA mixer device (such
as default) has available to it several controls, such as "PCM" or
"Master" or "Analog Front" or "Center" or "Surround" or ...  Therefore,
you cannot just put the mixer control name into Myth's "Mixer Device"
setting and expect it to work.  Myth does not provide a setting for
configuring the mixer control name to use with the mixer device, other
than the setting to choose either "PCM" or "Master" (the "Mixer
Controls" setting).

> It seems volume.sh is intent on sorting by spaces, and I don't know
> any way around it.  Any suggestions?

And therein lies the problem with posting a script you played with a
while back without re-acquainting yourself with the script.  I didn't
even realize I posted a space-delimiting script to a "has spaces"
question...  :(

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, and attached is one that's space-friendly.

Mike