[mythtv-users] Colour banding fullscreen (ref Color banding in preview window)

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Wed Mar 8 13:09:42 UTC 2006

I was worried that it was just me....

see my thread - '0.19, VIA, XvMC,    Ezra/i586 - video corrupted -
image enclosed'

After upgrading to 0.19 on FC3, I had banding in both full and preview
windows for particular recordings (I use Blue theme).

Playing the same recordings with 'VIA XvMC' decoding enabled resulted in
large rectangular blocks of garbage (see link enclosed in above posting).

I did a fresh install of FC4 last night and upgraded from AT,
Kelkoo/Epia and Livna (versions all included in above posting). This
cured unaccelerated fullscreen banding, but not the preview window,
which still shows banding and accelerated playback, which still gets
trashed.

All recordings play fine on other boxes.

The banding and garbage under XvMC seem to be related, since recordings
seem to be broken either on both or neither preview/XvMC...

Looking forward to a resolution :-)

Jules
Stuart Hayton wrote:

>eThere has been some discussion on this list before about "Color banding
>in preview window"
>I have the same effect in fullscreen watching live or recordings. At
>least one contact has had
>the same problem. He's cured his problem by getting XvMC VIA decoding
>working and maybe I
>can do the same but figure its worth calling out before I hide it.
>
>The mpeg files play fine in mplayer.
>
>We are DVB-T in the UK and whenever the verbose frontend log says:
>2006-02-28 00:18:42.912 VideoOutputXv: CreateShmImages(32): XJ: (704,576)
>2006-02-28 00:18:43.109 Image size. dispxoff 0, dispyoff: 0, dispwoff:
>1024, disphoff: 768
>2006-02-28 00:18:43.109 Image size. imgx 0, imgy: 0, imgw: 704, imgh: 576
>the display is good
>
>When:
>2006-02-28 00:16:11.318 VideoOutputXv: CreateShmImages(32): XJ: (768,576)
>2006-02-28 00:16:11.490 Image size. dispxoff 91, dispyoff: 0, dispwoff:
>841, disphoff: 768
>2006-02-28 00:16:11.492 Image size. imgx 0, imgy: 0, imgw: 768, imgh: 576
>the display is best described as a reasonable mono image with a green
>band at the bottom and diagonal
>colour stripes looks like the preview window problem discussed earlier.
>
>I'm not sure I understand exactly whats being logged on but notice that
>in the later case dispwoff - dispxoff =750 where does 750 come from?
>So the problem is something to do with resizing and scaling maybe?
>
>my X res is 1024x768
>am on 0.19 bugfix branch  - though have had this problem for weeks since
>a system rebuild starting with an ealy January SVN head build
>VIA SP13000
>
>What to try next?

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell