[mythtv-users] Mythtv torrent downloading

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:13:14 UTC 2006

On 3/9/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Jason Lewis wrote:
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I am of the opinion that torrent downloads are here to stay. Some people
> > may use them for illegally downloading content from the web but there
> > are also many legitimate uses for bittorrent. for instance I would love
> > to have episodes of rocketboom.com downloaded automatically and placed
> > in my Recording list so I can watch them like any other program.
> >
> > I believe this is a discussion that needs to be had as it is inevitable
> > that at some point mythtv will have to support bittorrent downloads in
> > some way.
> >
> On the contrary, including legally questionable features (no matter how
> much we know it's not illegal precisely but used illegally by people) in
> the core product opens it up to attack.  Since this activity
> (downloading legal torrents) can be handled effectively outside Myth and
> imported using any number of means, the discussion is unnecessary.
> Kevin

As an avid user of myth, I'd prefer that for the sake of longetivity
of the myth software, it should stays out of all controversial open
source software. Be it downloading torrents or ripping commercial
dvds. There is plenty of open source software to do it already. Let
the *intelligent user* find a way to add his/her downloaded/ripped
library to the existing myth database. There is no need for
*integration* as myth should stay out of it.

That being said, some users would still insist that automatic
integration should happen. So, I dont know if an
unsupported/unofficial plugin is the way to go provided by someone
else and not officially blessed by the core team.