[mythtv-users] LiveTV auto recording? Harddrive filling up.

LP Tilly mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:24:45 UTC 2006

On 3/9/06, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:

> * On Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 02:56:43AM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > I also think chunking individual live-tv recordings to be a max of 6
> hours or
> > so if they've not been set to keep with togglerecord is probably a good
> idea.
> > Wouldn't be hard for someone to implement.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> The person writing the patch could also make it intelligent so that the
> recorder could chunk into smaller chunks if we are low on disk space.
>
> It would be fairly easy to break the recording up into smaller chunks
> if we were short on disk space because we know the current filesize and
> time recorded so we could calculate the bitrate and estimate how long
> we had left until the disk filled up.  This would let us keep on
> recording because we would have small chunks (maybe 30 minutes) that could
> be expired as time kept progressing.
>
> --
> Chris

If you're doing a "wish list" for such auto-splitting of LiveTV recording (
which I think is a very good feature to have ) what about this:  Allow a
flag to start the chunking on the next "real" 30-minute time slot. Since
most shows start / end either on the hour or half-past the hour, this would
"clean up" the recordings.

Example:  You start watching at 18:20 and have this feature enabled.  It
will capture the first ten minutes as one recording then, at 18:30, it will
cut over and start a new recording.  If you have it set to work in 60 minute
time blocks then this recording will run from 18:30 to 19:30 and it will cut
again.

-Lawrence
"Looking forward to getting MythTV running SOON"