[mythtv-users] Which remote?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 23:31:07 UTC 2006

On 3/9/06, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:
> Although well acquainted with Linux, I am a newbie to MythTV, don't you
> love newbies? I have a P4 3.2GHz SuSE 10.0 with lots of space (800MB)
> that I've decided to load MythTV 0.19 and make it a HTPC. The PC has a
> nVidia FX 5500 graphics card and I'm waiting for my pcHDTV 3000 tuner
> card and IR blaster. My provider is Dish Network satellite, but soon to
> switch to Verizon FIOS. I give you that background just to see if anyone
> has recommendations on anything. I want to use this mainly for Video,
> Music and Photos.
>
> I have MythTV all setup and ready to go with LIRC installed. Now for my
> question. I am having a hard time deciding on a remote. Looking at the
> hardware list on the wiki, the ATI RW II seems the best, but cannot find
> it for sale anywhere. Is this recommended and where to buy?

Robert, you should be good to go. Just to make sure you understand
some things though....

The pcHDTV HD3000 card has no mpeg encoder on it, so its great for
HDTV via QAM (read: cable lines) and ATSC (read: over the air), but
for using an external tuner its not the best since it will use the CPU
to encode the video.

Now, your switching to Verizon's FIOS service, which I assume will
require a "cable box" of sorts.  Though who knows what box they will
be using, so it will be interesting to see what they give you. It
should have firewire for HD, but who knows what channels they will let
you view through it.

--
Steve