[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Mar 10 20:13:02 UTC 2006

Curtis Stanford wrote:
>> On 3/10/06, Stef Coene <stef.coene at docum.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have PVR-x50s and found that the initial time to start Watch TV went
>> from 2-3 seconds to about 6 seconds going from .18 to .19, however
>> changing channels was significantly faster, taking perhaps 1-2 seconds
>> as opposed to 2-3 in .18.  I don't think I've heard of anyone else
>> stating that they have seen longer initial startup times but faster
>> channel changes  It is strange that some people with ivtv encoders saw
>> a significant speedup in channel changes and others saw a significant
>> slow down.  I don't know what could account for that.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Another data point: on my DCT-6200 using firewire, it takes 7 seconds
> to change channels (longer if changing to HD channel). Actually
> changing the channel (using 6200ch) only takes 1-2 seconds so I'm not
> sure what it's doing the rest of the time. Starting Live TV takes
> about the same time. Way too long in my opinion. I don't watch Live
> myself but my wife does.

And I will add another data point. I just upgraded to SVN 9284.
Somewhere in the last little while, the channel/browse code has had some
great changes,

I have an SP13000. Changing channels in LiveTV used to take 10-12
seconds for the PVR500 and 15 seconds for the HD3000 (This is on cable
with QAM256). Now it takes about 5-6 seconds for the PVR500, which is
bearable, but the HD3000 still produces about 12-14 seconds of black
screen....

As an aside, has anyone noticed weird things with the menu pages: my
compile of 9284 produces menu pages which have the correct background
images but the text sections are blank white squares, with the selected
one in blue...Really weird.

Just downloaded 9318 and will try that tonight..

Geoff

--
        R. Geoffrey Newbury
      Barrister and Solicitor