[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Fri Mar 10 21:34:38 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 16:14, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> >Idea One: Take a snapshot of the stream being switched to and display
> >that with a status message such as "loading X". When the buffer is
> >ready switch to the live buffer.
>
> This is similar to the idea of playing the video slowly for a while
> to build up the buffer that was mentioned earlier, and my response is
> similar too: if MythTV can take an immediate snapshot of the stream,
> then it should also be able to just start playing right away.

Just wanted to point out that myth essentially starts displaying as soon as it
has the data available.  There isn't a '3 second buffer' forced anywhere.

As to the idea of using the existing timestretch code to start slower and
going to full after a bit - tried that, it broke on _way_ too many people's
machines.  Took too much CPU to do.

Anyway, if people want this fixed, they are going to have to add some
debugging to the source code to see what's taking so long.  It's not that
difficult a thing to do.

Isaac