[mythtv-users] Why does going to live TV take so long?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 11 07:24:53 UTC 2006

>On 3/10/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>>     > Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:42:30 -0500
>>     > From: "Steven Adeff" <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
>>
>>     > Tivo's buffer is about 7 seconds as well. From memory, my Series 1
>>     > Tivo had a 7second buffer.
>>
>> No.  I just ran a test.  My Series 1 TiVo changes channels in no more
>> than 1 second.  (RF input from cable system.)
>
>I never said it took 7 seconds to change channels, just that it keeps
>a buffer, I thought it was 7seconds, I know its noticable, we noticed
>it when the kitchen tv was on that had no DVR and it would output the
>sound a few seconds before the Tivo did.

If you're talking about the additional delay that tivo introduces (i.e.
the difference between a feed directly into your TV and one that goes
through tivo), then that's *way* less than 7 seconds. Probably less
than a second.
If that's not what you meant, then I don't know what you meant when
you said "buffer", since a tivo generally keeps a 30-minute buffer
(on disk), not a 7-second one.

Marco