[mythtv-users] Component Output on NVidia 6200 series

Greg Oliver goliver at cistera.com
Sat Mar 11 08:42:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 18:45 -0600, Andrew wrote:

> > I had the same problem.  I think I fixed it with the right mode in the
> > display section in my xorg.conf.  Recognize, there is a lockup problem
> > on 1080i component out.  You need render accel=true in xorg.  In
> > nvidia-settings you need sync to blank set to false and load nvidia
> > settings everytime x loads.   There might be a way to put a line right
> > in xorg to avoid nvidia-settings but I don't know what it is.  (Anyone
> > else?)

Well, I finally spent almost an entire day getting the 6200 to
"somewhat" work.  on TVOut, I can get a perfect 480p picture.  On TVOut
@ 1080i, (only with 8178 drivers) it works, but I get flicker on bottom
1/3 of screen still with bad overscan.  With VGA->component, I get a
"stable" 1080i picture.  Myth menus look perfect, but the desktop is
quite fuzzy - probably due to font sizes, etc though.

My new problem is that when I go to display ripped DVDs (I still do not
have 6200's to play with - only RCA-DTC1000 which is incompatible with
anything) X locks up instantly.  Even with all of the setting mentioned
here.  I get about 1 second of audio, and then nothing.  Have to Ctrl-C
the xserver and restart it.  I have not configured xvmc yet, as I just
wanted to get xv going 1st.  It is a fast enough machine to chew it, so
CPU I will work on after video.

> > Attached is my xorg.conf.   I am using comonent out from a 6600 which
> > should be the same as 6200 as far as the setup is concerned.  I am sure
> > it is not correct in every techncial aspect but I managed to work around
> > the options until I had it working.  It only works if the TV is plugged
> > in but VGA is not since there is no line to force component out like
> > there is for S-video.  Most of the people on this list are smarter than
> > me so if someone see something obviously wrong in my xorg, please let me
> > know.
> >
> Here is what made my 6200 work like a charm:
>

> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "nvidia"
>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>          BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 6200"
>          BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>          # TV Out Setup
>          Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

I had to change to HD1080i

>          Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

COMPOSITE

>          Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"

This option makes no difference in 8178 - even through nvidia-settings
it does not show up.

>         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" # Add this if you're having problems

Had to use TV-0 before it would recognize it, but that was obvious from
xorg logs.

Thanks for the info -

Greg