[mythtv-users] Volume Controls

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 12 01:15:03 UTC 2006

On 03/11/2006 04:27 PM, Jim Kusznir wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>>   I was follwing instructions as indicated at:
>>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Multimedia_Keys#Setting_up_xmodmap
>>> (no, I am not running Gentoo, but the basic idea is the same).  I've
>>> identified the keycodes and added them to my system Xmodmap, and
>>> verified (through xmodmap -pk) that the keycodes are being mapped to
>>> XF86AudioRaiseVolume, etc.
>>>
>> OK, this isn't directly useful, but more than likely, you don't need to
>> use xmodmap to make this work.  X ships with definitions for many
>> multimedia keyboard models, which can be enabled inside the keyboard's
>> InputDevice section of XF86Config/xorg.conf:
>>
>> # Microsoft Multimedia keyboard
>> #       Option      "XkbModel"      "microsoftmult"
>> # Logitech iTouch keyboard
>> #       Option      "XkbModel"      "itouch"
>>
>> and many others.  Google for your keyboard model and XF86Config or
>> xorg.conf for more info.  Using the provided definition for your
>> keyboard will rule out any xmodmap configuration issues as the root of
>> the segfault problem.
>>

> If I am able to use X's definition for my keyboard, how do I use the
> multimedia buttons?  Does it still map them to XF86AudioRaiseVolume and
> such?

Yep, but it does it without your having to use xmodmap.  Because xmodmap
adds a lot more places for things to go wrong, this makes it easier to
configure.

> How did you cause them to call your external shell script instead of myth's
> internal volume controls?

Same as you did:

None XF86AudioRaiseVolume :ExecCommand volume.sh up
None XF86AudioLowerVolume :ExecCommand volume.sh down

etc.  To figure out which keys your new X definition supports, just
search the 'net for the name of the X keyboard model (i.e. "itouch" or
"microsoftmult" or ...) or you can get it yourself by watching the
keystrokes with an appropriate program.

Mike