[mythtv-users] Advice on making a convergence box

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 02:02:35 UTC 2006

On 11/03/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am planning to take my web-server/router box with me to school, and I'm
> wondering if I can augment its purpose.
>
> Right now, it serves as an Apache, FTP, and IRC server. Usually the heaviest
> load the thing pulls is the IRC server. I'm wondering if, using a hardware
> MPEG encoder, like a PVR-150 (I'm thinking of a PVR-500 too), I could also
> have it serve as a MythTV back-end.
>
> The CPU is a Pentium II (Deschutes) at 348.491 MHz. Linux claims it runs at
> 694.68 Bogomips (doubt that'll be a useful number for you guys). It has an
> FPU, VME, DE, PSE, TSC, MSR, PAE, MCE, CX8, APIC, SEP, MTRR, PGE, MCA, CMOV,
> PAT, PSE36, FXSR, and MMX support, and a 512 KB cache.
>
> Given a large RAM and hard disk upgrade, could the machine support this kind
> of job? For now, I'm thinking of buying a second XBox and using that as a
> front-end. But as long as we're on the topic of hypothetical system
> configurations, if I were to outfit the system with a new GPU (The computer
> uses AGP by the looks of it, just not sure which generation) capable of
> XVMC, could it also serve as a front-end? I mean running at 640x480 (I'm not
> going High-Def yet), and outputting to a TV. I'd prefer to have some
> deinterlacing going on (It's really noticeable in some recordings), and does
> this seem feasible (I forgot if XVMC does deinterlacing)?

I'd be sceptical about using such a slow CPU, but have you considered
using a PVR-350 which has an onboard decoder which should not impact
your system at all and provide a crisp 720x480 picture direct to your
TV and may not require any deinterlacing (it outputs properly
interlaced video)?

Lots of RAM is not really the answer, unless other running services
are taking up a large chunk of it, but I think you might _just_ be
able to get this to run. If it works, it's not likely to be a terribly
snappy system, and database queries/updates may take some time if
disk/CPU usage is high.

If you do go this route, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Nick