[mythtv-users] PSP not recognizing NUVEXPORT generated MP4 files?

Scott Harris scott at webhounds.net
Sun Mar 12 02:13:20 UTC 2006

> I've generated an MP4 and the JPEG file for a PSP.  When I
> copy them into the correct directory and name it using the
> correct convention, the PSP sees the video, but claims it is
> an "invalid" format.  Has anyone else seen this and if so,
> how did you fix it?

I've just gone through this battle, kinda.  I skipped nuvexport
after I saw several recommendations to just add a user job to
myth.  It is just like one other poster said "user jobs rock!"
Nothing is better than having a transcode option to just dump
to PSP format.

Anyway, getting to what did and didn't work.

ffmpeg -y -i $FILE -title "$TITLE"  -f psp -s 320x240 -r 29.97 -b 768
-ar 24000 -ab 64 -acodec aac -ac 2  otputfile.mpg

I tried various combinations of -r, -b -ar and the rest.
I found the PSP wouldn't recognize the file if
-b > 768
-ar > 24000 (this was actually documented someplace I ran across)
-s was anything other than 320x240 (the widescreen export didn't work)

Some of the conversions I saw used other options but my video was
always unrecognized if I tried any of those.

ffmpeg --version
FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
  configuration:  --enable-gpl --enable-faac --disable-ffserver
--disable-ffplay --enable-libogg
  libavutil version: 49.0.0
  libavcodec version: 51.7.0
  libavformat version: 50.3.0
  built on Mar  5 2006 12:32:36, gcc: 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)