[mythtv-users] DVB-T tzap versus mythtv 0.19

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Mar 12 04:06:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:07 +1100, Doug Scoular wrote:
> Hi All,
>     After discussing this on the linuxtv dvb irc list I have a fix
>     that gives me reliable channel tuning on the Nova-T.
>
>     First, let me warn you that I am at the limits of my ability to
>     analyse C++ code... and what follows may not be 100% correct.

Requiring usleep[s] is in a word asinine.

The "API" is that you have no idea when the tuning actually
starts or finishes, but just have to guess as to when it has
completed. You have hope the kernel wasn't too busy doing
other things to attend to the DVB driver in the interval you
have allotted and need to proceed on the assumption that the
potentially failing command you issued has been honored and
completed successfully.

It only exposes how fundamentally broken the DVB API is and makes
me question Linus' acceptance of that code into the kernel.

But I already knew the drivers were broken, it just continues to
frustrate me. I would accept a patch that did the usleep[s] for
some per card configurable period of time, so long as it defaults
to off (you can autodetect the Nova-T and enable the hack for it.)

-- Daniel