[mythtv-users] NFS + 3ware = slow

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Sun Mar 12 19:25:00 UTC 2006

>> I just got a 3ware 7506-4 based on recommendation from this group.
>> I'm having problems with writing to the RAID-5 array over NFS.
>> Here's some averaged samples using the cp command:
>
>You are just running into general Linux NFS suckiness.  RAID 5 is quite

>speedy unless you are re-writing part of a file (e.g. swap or a
database)...
>cp performs quite well.  RAID 5 is ideal for storing video & music
files.
>I have been using NFS on my 3ware 7810 for quite awhile now and it's
great.

I think you're right about that. I installed Win2003 on the exact same
hardware,
same 3ware array, installed Services for Unix 3.5, and I'm getting 10
MB/sec
instead of 4 MB/sec. No changes whatsoever to the client. Anyone else
out there
keeping their MythTV media files on Windows over NFS, or will I be the
only one?

I have another RAID 5 array (U320 SCSI) in the same server, and I get
speeds over 30 MB/sec (240 Mbits/sec) writing to it over NFS. I just
wish I had
larger drives in that array, or else I'd use that instead.