[mythtv-users] Yet another NVidia 6200 1080i Component Output thread

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Sun Mar 12 19:34:38 UTC 2006

First off, I was up until well past 3am last night researching the
archives for information on how to get this to work, so if I've missed
the magic thread, I'm sorry.  I started a new thread because the others
have moved on to other topics, such as SVIDEO instead of component.  So,
here goes.

I'm trying to get a Diablotek branded NVidia GeForce 6200V+ to output
via component video at 1080i to my Samsung 54" widescreen TV, which is
an older model that only has component inputs and only supports 480i,
480p and 1080i (no 720p for me...), and somewhat 540p (I never could get
it to sync right with the AA960 and 5200 card I was using previously,
but died on me).

System: P43G HT on Intel 865 board, FC4 per Jarrod's guide, PVR-250,
firewire to DCT-6200 box, 1G ram, 250G ATA HD, SBLive! soundcard.

Here's what I've learned so far:

1. While several people have Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT" in their
xorg.conf, this is truly not supported.  From xorg.0.log:

(**) NVIDIA(0): Unknown TVOutFormat value.  Known values are "SVIDEO" and
(**) NVIDIA(0):      "COMPOSITE"

2. xorg.conf file seems to need the TVStandard "HD1080i" line:

 From the nvidia README:

        TVStandard                       Description
        -----------------------------    -----------------------------
        "PAL-B"                          used in Belgium, Denmark,
                                         Finland, Germany, Guinea,
                                         Hong Kong, India, Indonesia,
                                         Italy, Malaysia, The
                                         Netherlands, Norway,
                                         Portugal, Singapore, Spain,
                                         Sweden, and Switzerland
        "PAL-D"                          used in China and North Korea
        "PAL-G"                          used in Denmark, Finland,
                                         Germany, Italy, Malaysia, The
                                         Netherlands, Norway,
                                         Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and
                                         Switzerland
        "PAL-H"                          used in Belgium
        "PAL-I"                          used in Hong Kong and The
                                         United Kingdom
        "PAL-K1"                         used in Guinea
        "PAL-M"                          used in Brazil
        "PAL-N"                          used in France, Paraguay, and
                                         Uruguay
        "PAL-NC"                         used in Argentina
        "NTSC-J"                         used in Japan
        "NTSC-M"                         used in Canada, Chile,
                                         Colombia, Costa Rica,
                                         Ecuador, Haiti, Honduras,
                                         Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico,
                                         South Korea, Taiwan, United
                                         States of America, and
                                         Venezuela
        "HD480i"                         480 line interlaced
        "HD480p"                         480 line progressive
        "HD720p"                         720 line progressive
        "HD1080i"                        1080 line interlaced
        "HD1080p"                        1080 line progressive
        "HD576i"                         576 line interlace
        "HD576p"                         576 line progressive

3. Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" is called for in the nvidia README,
but others have said they had to use "TV-0"...

 From the nvidia README:

    The "ConnectedMonitor" option can be used to tell X to use the TV for
    display. This should only be needed if your TV is not detected by the
    video card, or you use a CRT (or digital flat panel) as your boot
    display, but want to redirect X to use the TV. The line in your config
    file should be:

        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

However, later in the README:

A "Display Device Name" is a string description that uniquely identifies a
display device; it follows the format "<type>-<number>", for example:
"CRT-0",
"CRT-1", "DFP-0", or "TV-0". Note that the number indicates how the display
device connector is wired on the graphics board, and has nothing to do with
how many of that display device type is present. This means, for
example, that
you may have a "CRT-1", even if you do not have a "CRT-0". To determine
which
display devices are currently connected, you may check your X log file for a
line similar to the following:

    (II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-0, DFP-0

This is confusing.

4. I have errors in my xorg.0.log, but am not sure what they signify
(except the last one, it is a crash, but why, I don't know).

(II) LoadModule: "speedo"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module speedo
(II) UnloadModule: "speedo"
(EE) Failed to load module "speedo" (module does not exist, 0)
. . .
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX
. . .
   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

(EE) NVIDIA(0): unknown reason for exception
(II) NVIDIA(0): EAX=0x00000003, EBX=0x00000000, ECX=0x00000000,
EDX=0x00000000
(II) NVIDIA(0): ESP=0x00000ffa, EBP=0x00000000, ESI=0x00000000,
EDI=0x00000000
(II) NVIDIA(0): CS=0x0000, SS=0x0100, DS=0x0040, ES=0x0000, FS=0x0000,
GS=0x0000
(II) NVIDIA(0): EIP=0x00010000, EFLAGS=0x00033286
(II) stack at 0x00001ffa:
 00 06 00 00 00 32
(II) NVIDIA(0): code at 0x00000000:
 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
(EE) NVIDIA(0): cannot continue

5. During the boot process, POST and linux loading is "wrapped".  When X
loads, the nvidia logo appears breifly perfectly (not "wrapped", right
aspect ratio, etc), and then my TV goes crazy (it doesn't like whatever
the card is feeding it).  I can supply pictures of all of this if needed.

6. So many of the posts I've read seem to be like "You need to do this
one thing and it will work".  However, I think they had done many other
things, and that "one thing" was just the last one.  I've tried every
suggestion I've found, and many besides, and all I can say is I know a
lot of things that don't work. ;-)

Anyone else gotten farther with this?  Any help would be much appreciated!

TIA.
Jeff.