[mythtv-users] Invalid start channel, permission denied opening /dev/v4l/video0

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Mar 13 03:38:28 UTC 2006

Is this happening to anyone else?

I discovered that the source of this problem was a gentoo change in the
/etc/init.d script. It now runs mythbackend as user "myth" instead of user
"root".

Now, mythbackend SHOULD run as myth. However, it requires knowing exactly
what stuff that user will need access to, and I have NO idea what those
things are (and the myth logs are not helpful). I get permission denied on
/dev/v4l/video even when I am positive that the myth user has access to it.

For now, I changed the /etc/init.d/mythbackend script to start as root
instead of myth, but can anyone list off which devices mythbackend should
need access to and what I will have to do to let it run as non-root?
Assuming a PVR/350/250/150/500/etc card. Thanks!

  - Jeff