[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Odd MythTV Frontend Option

LP Tilly mail.list.lawrence at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:25:11 UTC 2006

I have recieved some hand-me-down hardware that I think would be a good
option for a frontend ( my backend server is coming along fairly well...just
some sound issues to work out with the PVR-150 ).  I've scratch built almost
every computer I have owned since my first 333/XT, but this one has me a bit
stumped.  You see, it's components from a laptop which has broken ( keyboard
case and monitor ) and isn't cost-effctive to replace.  It's an Intel P3 /
850 MHz, 256MB Ram, built in Rage Mobility AGP 2x ( 128MB ), built in
10/100, built in SVideo Out, built in audio ( basic setero only, of course
).

I've never played w/ laptop hardware before ( beyond basic memory / drive
upgrades ) so this is "new terriroty" for me.  I figured if all this
frontend was going to do was to pull recordings thru the network off the
backend server and display them thru the SVideo to a small TV in the
bedroom, this would be plenty.  I could pick up a resonable drive, and by
making use of the external power supply configuration of a laptop heat would
be dramatically reduced ( laptops need low-heat configs anyway )..

My first hope was that a laptop MB would be compatible with mounts for one
of the smaller PC MBs ( like a miniITX or such ) for which I could track
cases down and this would be a great option for a slim-line HTPC case.  But
looking at  a pic of the board I'm not so sure any more.  There is a big
notch where the removable drive would slide in and out, for example.

I see three options at this time:
  1.  I find a non-laptop case that accepts laptop MBs
  2.  I find an adaptor or technique that allows me to mount a laptop MB
into a more standard PC case.
  3.  I throw the components on my spare parts pile and wait to see if I
ever have need of building an out-dated laptop.

I have been banging around Google for a while today and am not having much
luck with finding solutions for #1 or #2.  Any ideas or pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

advTHANKSance!!!
-Lawrence