[mythtv-users] mythTV, Kaffeine and Twinhan DVB-T

Nicklas Bergfeldt nicklas.bergfeldt at his.se
Tue Mar 14 19:05:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm using the following system:
Linux 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 #9 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 8 00:50:22 CET 2006 i686
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
with 1 GB RAM and 2 Twinhan DVB-T cards.

Software:
*  media-tv/mythtv
      Latest version available: 0.19_p9163-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.19_p9163-r1

*  media-video/kaffeine
      Latest version available: 0.7.1
      Latest version installed: 0.7.1

Live TV is working perfectly in Kaffeine (no errors in the picture), but
in mythTV "hickups" / "jerks" / "squeeky sounds" is very common (i.e. 1
approx every 30 sec)...
 - One could say that the errors in mythTV could result from bad
reception, but that do not explain why the picture in Kaffeine (always)
is perfect and the picture in mythTV (always) displays "jerks" every 30
sec or so...

I've seen the thread "Starting to think I should use *Kaffeine* instead
of *Mythtv*
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/155400?search_string=kaffeine%20mythtv;#155400>",
and I have tried every tip proposed there:

 * Ensure that the DVB cards are on separate IRQ:s, not sharing with
anything else
cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   92709255          XT-PIC  timer
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:  115325692          XT-PIC  bttv1, bt878
  7:   13915823          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, EMU10K1, eth0
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 10:  123736428          XT-PIC  bttv0, bt878
 11:   23585138          XT-PIC  nvidia
 14:    8100362          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         25          XT-PIC  ide1

 * Ensure that mythTV records liveTV with TS format
This I cannot ensure since there are no such settings anymore (from what
I can find)... I did however find another post stating that they all use
TS now, just the file extension that is mpg nowadays (as it is in my
folder)...

Further, the discussion in that thread resulted in something like
"Sounds to me like bad reception and nothing to do with mythtv or
kaffeine, I guess youve just had good luck when watching tv with kaffeine?".
 - But I have watched VERY closely in kaffeine and there are NO "jerks"
what so ever for several extended periods of time... If I switch on
mythTV it immediately starts "jerking" :-(

Any help here would be most appreciative!
 - Anyone else out there who have gotten Twinhan DVB-T cards working
with a similary system to my own?
 - Anyone else out there who have (or had) the same problem as me?

Best regards,
Nicklas