[mythtv-users] Audio Problems.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 15 13:16:56 UTC 2006

On 03/14/2006 12:39 AM, Brian Oldfield wrote:

> I have line in muted and set to capture.  I've tried deselecting
> "internal volume controls" (in the settings/general options).  I did
> just discover that Ubuntu didn't install the alsa-oss emulation by
> default, but installing those didn't help matters at all.  If I start
> up Myth, I get no audio for live TV or recordings, though recordings
> made previous (while running KDEtv in the background), MythMusic, and
> MythDVD all have audio output.
>
> I suppose I shouldn't say i have no audio output, but only static/noise.
>
> I've read that Myth will not record audio output from ALSA, is this
> true?

Myth doesn't actually record audio after it's output from anything.
Instead, Myth records audio using an input on your sound card that's set
to "capture."

As far as the ALSA versus OSS thing, Myth will only record audio using
the OSS API.  This doesn't mean that you have to "install OSS" to make
Myth work.  It simply means you need support for OSS built into your
Myth compile (i.e. don't use "--disable-audio-oss"--which is meant for
porting, not for Linux systems--which means on Gentoo, don't use the
"-oss" flag).

Note that you should load the ALSA OSS emulation modules to make sure
this works properly.  You get these modules when you build ALSA, so this
shouldn't be too hard.

Mike