[mythtv-users] laptop w/ NVidia chipsets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 15 14:59:47 UTC 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:27 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Anyone know of a laptop with NVidia Quadra / FX chipsets that aren't
> crippled?  Also with DVI out?
>
> I may need to get one soon, and I really want something that can do
> full
> accelerated video...

Not specifically, but you might want to look into a unit that uses
MXM I modules for graphics. A-Open makes a "DIY" laptop chassis
(1559) that allows you to install the CPU, HDD, Optical drive, WiFi
Card, memory and *graphics unit* of your choice (although I think
this particular chassis can only use Pentium-M series CPUs, not sure
if they make an AMD-capable one or not).

The unit ships with the Go 6600 graphics module, but I've heard tell
of a 7800 GTX being available soon. I'm not sure what you mean by
"crippled", nor am I sure of the precise specs of the MXM modules,
but it might give you a place to start.

Of course ATI has a competing modular graphics standard, the AXIOM,
which is of course not compatible with the nVidia offering.

In any case I think a unit with upgradeable graphics modules beats
any "soldered in" solution.