[mythtv-users] Watch myth on cell phones

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:28:45 UTC 2006

Brian Frost wrote:
> Is anyone using their phone to watch content? I am just now starting
> to try this. I have a RAZR v3 -- i am not even sure how phones differ
> when using WAP -- further, I am not even sure how to see what format
> they use.

I've got a razr v3 (still waiting on that $150 rebate :P ).  The format
they use is called 3gp.  "movie_name.3gp" etc etc.
So, I do believe you can convert mpeg2 to 3gp.  Of course, I would be
interested if you could convert mpeg4 nuv file to 3gp as well.  In
windows such programs exist:
http://www.allformp3.com/3gp-converter.htm
And also Mobile Phone Tools that you can get from moto or elsewhere on
the net for a considerably lower price supports converting other formats
to 3gp.
Now, in Linux I don't know how to do it, but it should be as simple as
reencoding at a lower resolution and bitrate, because 3gp itself is
supposed to actually be in mpeg4 format.  You can also use h.263, which
I'm not sure how much that differs, because I thought mpeg4 was h.264.
It seems the audio has to be aac or amr, so I'm not sure if the mp3
format myth uses will work or not.
These phones can play mp3s so perhaps this format will work on mp3
capable phones but not others that can play video but otherwise not mp3.
For CDMA it's 3g2, but the file format is basically the same.  A couple
more aduio options, still no mp3 specified.

> Anyway, I will share what I end up -- assuming it will be worth
> sharing :)

Sounds interesting to me, I'll be interested.  It seems all you need to
do is reencode them at a lower bit rate and file size, and get them out
of the nuv extension.
Now I still need some kind of bluetooth interface for mythtv so I could
use my cell phone as a remote.  Why?  Because it would be cool.  maybe
useless, but cool.

Raphael