[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.20 SVN: setup menu and network control

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 20:48:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 14:41, Daniel A Segel wrote:
> I don't use Debian or any of its offshoots, but I'm wondering why you go
> to the trouble of "building Debian packages" for MythTV instead of just
> compiling and installing it (i.e. make && make install, as I do on my
> Gentoo system)?

There are no compilers or development packages installed on that box. I have
other computers in the house to do compiling on. Besides, the way I've got it
set up to upgrade MythTV to the latest SVN HEAD it's a matter of:

apt-get source mythtv mythplugins myththemes
svn up (in each directory)
dpkg-buildpackage -kad9ae76a -rfakeroot (in each directory)

upload and then apt-get (or Synaptic via SSH X11 forwarding) on the MythTV
box. Isn't much more complicated than using the Makefile and I can keep my
box's filesystem clean.

Andrew Barr | andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew
GPG: B6E3 19B7 C294 BF8B B26B 317C 86E3 3E67 AD9A E76A

"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
		-- Mark Twain